Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Prompted Blog post #3: Exploring Communication

When it comes to an informational blog like this, there's something to be said about the power of an interview. You can read books and gather info from a different website and try to paste things together to post a blog. But they don't match up to a true one on one interview. Interviewing a professional about your area of choice can provide you with gainful insight that any other blog post can't hold a tee to.

That brings me to our latest prompted blog post: Exploring Communication. Communication is key in any business venture, and when you're trying to make it in the big bad world of marketing, it's good to have a voice or two on the inside handing out tips to us would be pros currently on the come up. I interviewed one Dan Fuoco, Interactive Marketing Manager at Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau. I talked to Dan about misconceptions and in his profession and types of writing he's involved with from day to day. Here's what he had to say:


"What type/ form of writing do you engage in day-to-day?"

"Every day, I write for a social audience. That means that my writing is direct and clear – I don’t have room (literally) to write feature stories. I write headlines that grab your attention and make you want to read more. If I don’t, I’ve wasted time."

"common misconceptions/challenges in the marketing field?"

"Challenge = conversions or shares. Social Media is a giant network of people having conversations with multiple people at multiple times. It’s my job as a social media manager to grab your attention and persuade you to click on my content. The large amount of social, advertising and marking “noise” makes my job challenging. If I can get you to click on and share my content, I’ve hit a homerun because now I have an advocate. Advocates are priceless."

"methods they use to work around those misconceptions?"

"I find that the best methods come from honest relationships or giving fans the spotlight. We have a hashtag that we created (#DepictTheD) where we ask visitors and locals to “show Detroit through your lens”. Hundreds of photos are tagged each month and we choose one photo daily and provide a platform for the photographer to showcase they work: our Instagram account. Recently, we have developed a page on our website (http://visitdetroit.com/your-photos) that showcases many more #DepictTheD photos within different geographical locations in Detroit, i.e. Downtown, Corktown, Greektown, Eastern Market, etc. People love to see their work or name “in lights."


So there you have it folks. I won't keep you any longer but take what I have chosen to blog about here in to account. Social Media isn't going anywhere, its a continuously growing market and any profession that involves it is likely to be a prosperous one. Just know what you're going up against.


By: Maxamilian Tarpey

Sources: 
https://outlook.office.com/owa/projection.aspx

    No comments:

    Post a Comment