Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Prompt Post #8 Practicing Your Knowledge

In order to learn how marketing works I took a hands on approach. Through my job at Athleta I was able to learn about marketing in a retail environment by personally experiencing it. I quickly found how different marketing is in a real work place compared to marketing in schoolwork and textbooks.

While working, my task was to arrange the clothing in the store in a way that would be appealing to the customer. I had to think about the time of year, which was right after New Years. Knowing this, I arranged the store so that the workout clothes were at the front table. This way the workout clothing would be the first thing the customer saw, making it easier for them to build their wardrobe for their New Years resolution.

This scenario couldn't be taught in a textbook or a class, it was learned from personal experience. Situations such as this are a unique way to build my marketing skills. Nobody else has the same experiences as I do, I can use these to my advantage as I pursue a career in the field.

Although I believe there are some things that can't be taught, it is important to study marketing in school and take classes that relate. There are many things that can be taught in school that will make your experiences in the field easier. One thing I have learned is how to make advertisements that correctly market a product to a specific target audience. Learning this and practicing it in class will build my skills so that I'm prepared for a career.

If you want to be truly successful in marketing it is important to not only practice in school but also gain personal experiences. When you combine your experience with the skills you have been taught, you will know the right thing to do and be able to accomplish each task.

By: Sydney Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment